Handling power failure - MPC5200

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Sat Nov 6 01:48:24 EST 2004

Hi Jón,

Read the CF card detailed specifications carefully (and if it ain't in writing, it ain't real).

What I've seen is marketing bullet points saying the cards can survive a power loss event with no loss of data, but when I read the detailed CF specification, the disclaimer was that power had to be held up for X mSec (I forgot what X was, 2mSec or 10mSec most likely) after the last write operation.  The marketing bullet point was exactly that: marketing.  The real requirement levied on the user (you) was that you had to have X mSec power hold up after the last write operation (i.e. a X mSec power fail warning with no write operations after the PF warning).  The hold-up requirement gave the CF internals enough time to complete a flash write cycle.

gvb

The following messages are brought to you by the Lawyers' League of IdioSpeak:

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.