Handling power failure - MPC5200

Jón Benediktsson jonb at marel.is
Thu Nov 4 23:32:40 EST 2004

Hi

I am running Linux 2.4.25, based on linux_2_4_devel from Denx, on a custom
MPC5200 board.
The boad has a TPS3705 chip for reset and watchdog.  The chip also
provides a powerfail interrupt
when the supply voltage goes below a certain level, which is connected to
IRQ0 on the MPC5200.

Capacitors on the supply provide me with some milliseconds to repond to
power failure, which I would
like to use to do as much cleanup as possible before power is totally
gone.  In particular, I am concerned
with trying to prevent damage to filesystems.  The board has Compact Flash
and onboard flash which
are used as filesystems.  The board will be used as an industrial
controller.

Can anyone point me to examples of how this can be handled ?
Can anyone share experience of a similar setup, which filesystems to
select etc ?

Regards,
Jón Benediktsson
Marel hf