curious about BK checkin protocol

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu May 27 03:20:27 EST 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Tom Rini wrote:

> I still like to argue that it's best to loudly blow up than to compile
> fine and then die in other ways at run-time (if someone hadn't gotten
> the last problem fixed on 8xx I was getting tempted to move what we had
> done now up with an #error tossed on top of head_8xx.S pointing people
> to what's wrong, etc).

that's a fair statement.  but, from my perspective, before i tried this
recently, i had *no* clue about the possibility of linux on 8xx, and
grabbed the linuxppc-2.5 tree, which of course didn't compile because of
that one issue.  once i got that compile issue out of the way, i was
purely deeeelighted to see a kernel actually load and boot to user space
and at least start init before hanging.  and this was after doing
*nothing* in terms of customizing the kernel for my board.

even with going no further than that, i could at least take comfort in the
fact that *something* was happening.  it's an admittedly nitpicky
perspective, but seeing even that partial progress made me one happy
camper.

anyway, at this point, i'll just be waiting with bated breath for new
patches.  too exciting for words ...

rday