insmod trouble

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 25 19:55:49 EST 2004

In message <200405251105.11689.Schramel.Linux at go.bartec.de> you wrote:

> My MPC8270 system works with 2.4.26 (toolchain ELDK), for development i use NFS (opt/eldk/ppc_82xx as rootfs). Now i write  a device driver and have some trouble.
> I ve searched the whole list, but i didn't found some helpfully comments.

> bash-2.05b# insmod demodriver.o
> demodriver.o: unresolved symbol module_unregister_chrdev
> demodriver.o: unresolved symbol register_chrdev
> demodriver.o: unresolved symbol led_init
> demodriver.o: unresolved symbol printf
> demodriver.o: unresolved symbol printk
>
> What is the reason for this messages ??

The reason is bugs in your driver code.

module_unregister_chrdev - there is no such function in the Linux kernel.
	Do you mean unregister_chrdev() or devfs_unregister_chrdev()?

led_init - there is no such exported kernel  symbol.  Which  function
        are you trying to call? Is this something in your own driver?

printk - there is no such function in the Linux kernel. Did you  mean
        printk() instead?

register_chrdev, printk - I can only speculate.  These  are  exported
        kernel  symbols.  probably you compile the driver with bad or
        incomplete compiler options?

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Horses just naturally have mohawk haircuts.