/dev/ram in ramdisk_image.gz

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 20 07:11:15 EST 2004

In message <4.2.2.20040519130806.050a0340 at bhawley.mailhost.luminex.com> you wrote:

> Does anyone know if the ramdisk_image.gz on the DENX site for the ppc has
> the /dev/ram device
> already created?

Yes, it has. But it doesn't need to. The kernel cannot look into /dev
before mounting the root filesystem anyway.

> When we boot an initrd [ created using mkimage from uboot on the
> ramdisk_image.gz ], we get
>
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ram0
> <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds..<6>eth0: Link is Up

Must be a problem with your kernel and/or your  kernel  configuration
(for example: do you have ext2 support enabled?).

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Things are not as simple as they seem at first.        - Edward Thorp