Ebony Board, PPC440GP and NFS panics

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Thu May 20 07:04:38 EST 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:36:50PM -0700, Brian Hawley wrote:

> At 09:54 PM 5/19/04 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>

> >The question is: does your "arch/ppc/platforms/ebony.h" include
> ><asm/ppcboot.h> or not, i. e. does it use the U-Boot definitions at
> >all?
>
> There is no ebony.h in arch/ppc/platforms...the board isn't listed there at
> all, neither
> is the walnut [ 405 ], but I've seen numerous people discuss the fact that
> they have
> the ebony board working with this (linux-2.5-ocp from bk) working.

It's arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/ebony.[ch]

And no, ebony.[ch] doesn't support u-boot. So it cannot work with u-boot if you
didn't change ebony.[ch].

You cannot just substitute boot loader without changing board support in Linux
kernel and expect it to work.

I can only suggest the same thing I told you before, get Ebony running with
standard IBM boot loader (OpenBIOS), study how Linux kernel interact with _this_
bootloader, study how u-boot differs from IBM OpenBIOS and only after having
full understanding how things work, try to port Ebony to using u-boot.

Eugene.