Memory management problem with RAMDISK, any help?

dong in kang dkang at east.isi.edu
Wed May 19 01:51:24 EST 2004

 Hello,

 My Linux (v.2.4.22) running on a PowerPC 750 system does not seem to know
the memory bound when ramdisk is installed. The system has 128 M memory and
28 Meg of the memory is used as ramdisk. I setup the memory size as 128M
bytes at the kernel parameter and ppc_md.find_end_of_memory() routine
returns constant 128M.

  The kernel dies with " Oops: kernel access of bad area, sig: 11".
The area it accessed is the start of the last 28 Megabytes of the 128 M
memory. It happens when the kernel tries to allocate memory for socket
communication.

 How can I know the kernel knows the end of memory correctly?
Could it be other problem?

 Thanks,

 Dong-In