PPC440GX GigE support

Phil Thompson philt at 4bridgeworks.com
Thu May 13 21:43:45 EST 2004

I'm having some problems with this on an Ocotea board (using the latest
source).

With the default Ocotea configuration everything works fine when booting
over both eth0 and eth3. If I then configure support for the SYM53C8XX_2
SCSI driver then everything continues to be fine for eth0, but with eth3 the
system times out trying to autoconfigure using BOOTP. Packets are being sent
Ok (irq 10 is raised and you see them on the wire), but they are not
received (irq 11 is never raised).

About 1 time in 10 the system will boot successfully.

I don't think the SCSI driver is particularly relevant - just that it is a
source of interrupts (irq 23) that occur after the MAL interrupts are
enabled and before the kernel tries to use the network to autoconfigure.

The implication is that there are problems in ppc4xx_pic.c in handling the
3rd UIC of the 440GX. There seems to be at least one bug in ppc4xx_uic_end()
in the first case statement - there is no "case 2:" clause and it looks as
if there should be - but it isn't the cause of the problem.

I'll continue digging, but I'd welcome any ideas from anybody with more
experience of interrupt handling on the 440GX.

Thanks,
Phil