Question on the fs choice

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 13 18:09:26 EST 2004

Dear Adam,

in message <EFB813091B18D511BD3600508B644F820A617EC3 at tx14exm06.ftw.mot.com> you wrote:

> I've contacted SanDisk regarding their warranty of surviving a power
> shortage in the middle of a write-cycle and received a document explaining
> the expected behavior.
> These particular SanDisk cards are equipped with an enhanced version of the
> internal controller that is capable of surviving such scenario leaving the
> card in a robust state.
> One of the recommendations was to implement a 100 millisecond power back-up
> provided for the card to finish its internal write cycle. Of course, this

There may even be CF cards with integrated coldcap - at least  that's
what I've been told once.

> To cut the long story short I personally believe (based on the number of
> stress tests we perform on our target platforms) that modern compact flash
> cards (e.g. SDCFB-xx-201 series) can be safely used as a main storage medium
> for commercial applications.

Be careful here. The fact that one manufacturer gives you a  warranty
for some specific types of flash cards does not mean that all "modern
compact  flash  cards"  behave identically. You will need to ask each
vendor for such a warranty for the specific cards you  are  going  to
use.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Voodoo Programming: Things programmers do that  they  know  shouldn't
work  but they try anyway, and which sometimes actually work, such as
recompiling everything.                             - Karl Lehenbauer