Question on the fs choice

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Wed May 12 22:36:53 EST 2004

Journaling file systems don't cure corruption on power fail, they just make the power fail recovery faster by eliminating the full fsck disk scan and significantly reduce the probability of corruption due to the transactional nature.  The assumption with a journaling file system is that the power fail only corrupted the last (partial) transaction.  With normal usage patterns this is a good assumption (spinning disk physics probably help, but write caches in disks are going to hurt).  With CF under heavy power failure cycles, this might not be as good an assumption.

There was a slashdot item yesterday pointing to a benchmark of various journaling file systems.  In the discussion, one point that was made was that ext3 journals the data as well as the metadata by default where the other journaling file systems journal only the metadata (directory info).  I presume this was accurate (hey, it was on ./ which guarantees accuracy, right? ;-).  Whichever fs you pick, you probably want to journal the data as well as the metadata.

A suggestion is to have multiple partitions on your CF and use RAID-3 or RAID-5.  The assumption here is that a power fail-induced physical corruption would corrupt only one of the partitions which could then be rebuilt due to the RAID redundancy.  The journaled file system would then eliminate the fsck on start up and make the file system itself consistant and the RAID redundancy would (presumably) fix any low level errors that the unexpected power fail could induce.

...or maybe a journaling file system is good enough.

gvb