Running CompactFlash and HDD on mpc8xx

David Ho DavidHo at nanometrics.ca
Tue May 11 02:20:10 EST 2004

Hi all,

I am looking a way to have CompactFlash and HDD working together on a
MPC8xx platform.  Ultimately both (IDE, IDE_CS) systems calls
m8xx_ide_init_hwif_ports to initialize ATA register location/hardware.
Right now this function is pretty stupid:  it assumes that it is being
called from the same subsystem and initialize stuff as if it is always a
hard drive hanging off of the processor bus.

One idea I have is to make m8xx_ide_init_hwif_ports smarter and have it
identify from the parameters passed which stack it is being called from so
that it can initialize to the appropriate hardware.  Right now I don't see
anything that can indicate/differentiate between the two.

Would anyone else has any ideas about this.  I would appreciate hearing
your suggestions.

I am cross posting this to Linux PCMCIA forums as well.

Regards,

David Ho
Nanometrics Seimological Instruments