Compiling glibc-2.3.2 (debian) on mpc8xx ;-)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 9 20:45:21 EST 2004

In message <200403090953.54598.david.jander at protonic.nl> you wrote:

> So far, so good. I compiled a kernel with FPU-emulation just in case, and went
> through the installation of the base system using glibc-2.3.1 from ELDK
> binaries plugged on top of the version from debian, to avoid further
> incompatibilities.

You have just created a bunch of incompatibilities here.  You  cannot
use binaries and shared libraries that don't fit to each other.

> Question: What do I have to patch exactly before compiling? I want to leave
> floating-point stuff in there for now to stay compatible with

What do you mean by "leave floating-point stuff in"?

Since the MPC8xx does  not  have  a  FPU,  you  cannot  use  hardware
floating  point. Oh yes, there is the FP emulation in the kernel. But
this has never been working reliably.

> debian-binaries. AFAIK there is (was?) an issue with
> sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/memset.S and sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/dl-machine.c
> containing code that assumed a cache-line of different size than that of the
> MPC8xx. Is this still the case in glibc-2.3.2? Hasn't this been patched in
> the official sources?
> What else do I have to look out for? What other patches to apply? Where to get
> them from?

See the patches in the ELDK build environment.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The greatest threat towards future is indifference.