Booting Linux on a Custom PPC Board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 3 10:51:44 EST 2004

In message <1078181934.4198.20.camel at budweiser> you wrote:

> We are writing our own boot loader code for a couple of reasons.
>
> o U-Boot does not support our ethernet chip or serial chip.

And you really  think  that  developing  a  complete  new  bootloader
(including drivers for your ethernet and serial chips) is less effort
or easier that just adding these drivers to U-Boot?

C'me on!

> o VxWorks is in flash and we cannot change that in the near future.
> o The VxWorks boot loader initializes the hardware and
>   we run our custom boot loader from its shell.

U-Boot can boot VxWorks just fine.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-
bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the
road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.
                              -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy