brk() problem in glibc 2.3.2 on TQM860

Karim Yaghmour karim at opersys.com
Wed Jun 30 14:01:07 EST 2004

... Pilot error ...

Karim Yaghmour wrote:
> I've been having problems with brk() calls (like ones made by malloc()
> to the
> kernel) when using glibc 2.3.2 on a TQM860 (16MB RAM, 8MB of flash.)
> Take the
> following snippet of code for example:
>     for (i = 1, val = 10; i < 10; val = val * 10, i++) {
>         printf("Allocating %lu \n", val);
>         x = (void*) malloc(val);
>         memset(x, '\0', val);
>     }

It actually freezes in the memset() and the problem is the memset.S file in
glibc-2.3.2/sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/ which needs to be removed. I knew
this problem existed in older versions of glibc, but I had assumed that it
had been fixed in the newer versions ... I assumed wrong.

When the file is removed everything works fine.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits