2.5 bk tree on 8xx board ... so close

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 29 07:48:07 EST 2004

   after messing with the kernel config of the latest "bk pull", and
building a new kernel and ramdisk, i got:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k init
Configuring localhost networking ...
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device   (ignore, i tried to configure eth0)
Mounting /proc filesystem ...
Mounting /tmp filesystem ...
There are no /dev/mtdblock devices here, aborting.  (no, not really)
Clearing /var/log/msgs and starting syslogd ...
I found portmap, so I'll start it now ...
I found telnetd, so I'll start it now ...
Bailing for testing purposes.

BusyBox v1.00-pre10 (2004.06.24-

... and hang.

so, from the above, i got

1) localhost networking configured
2) /proc mounted
3) /tmp (tmpfs) mounted
4) syslog, portmap and telnet starting
5) an exit from the startup script since i wanted to keep things
    simple

at that point, /etc/inittab has the line:

::respawn:-/bin/sh

/bin/sh being, of course, a link to busybox.  i'm not sure what to
make of the partial output, perhaps some problem with the serial or
console port that the shell is trying to use.  so i guess it's on to
poking around the console port, see if that's the issue.

getting so close ...

rday