GT64260_eth (Ethernet) Driver

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Sat Jun 26 11:47:52 EST 2004

Paul Mackerras wrote:

>Mark A. Greer writes:
>

>>Ahh, G*d I hate that...struct aaa, struct bbb, struct ccc all over the
>>place when its not necessary & adds no value.  Anyway, I will do that.
>>

>It does make things clearer for the reader - when you see a
>declaration "struct foo bar;" you know that it is a struct, but if you
>see "foo_t bar;" you have no clue what sort of thing it is without
>going and looking elsewhere.

Yes but chances are you're going to look it up anyway (no matter what
type of creature it is).  Plus with cscope or something similar its
pretty quick/easy to look it up.

>The other advantage to using "struct" is that it can help straighten
>out include file messes.  If you have a header where you need to
>declare a function that takes a foo_t *, you have no choice but to
>#include <foo.h>, or whatever the header is that defines foo_t.  That
>can easily lead to messes where foo.h needs to include other things
>which end up including everything plus the kitchen sink.  If you
>instead declare your function as taking a struct foo *, then you can
>solve the problem by simply putting a "struct foo;" declaration in
>your header, and then you don't need to #include <foo.h>.

Hmm, it seems like the real problem in this example is that the include
files are not written and/or split out well.  Isn't your "struct foo;"
example just a hack to work around that?  Or am I not getting it?
Anyway, I'll use "struct foo;"s from now on (and get rid of the
typedef's I already have).

Mark