On the MPC85xx development boards

Mikko Alutoin mikko.alutoin at luukku.com
Thu Jun 24 23:55:27 EST 2004

Hi folks!

I would be happy to receive some comments on pros & cons of different development boards for MPC85xx cause I'm in the process of selecting one.
The final design will be using MPC8560 to implement a 1 Gbps Ethernet card for a router. ATM support will be needed later on.
The development environment includes a Linux PC and Abatron BDI2000 emulator.

Here are the boards that I am aware of:

1)	MPC8560ADS by Motorola
2)	CW8540DSEVAL by Motorola
3)	SBC8560 by Windriver
4)	Silicon Tx GP3 8560
5)	MPC8540 RDK by GDATech

Are these boards all there is?

I am under the impression that 1, 2, 4 and 5 (but not 3) come with a Linux BSP included? Is this correct?

Being the lazy person that I am, I'm trying to minimize the work to get Linux up and running on the board. I wonder which board/package gives me least headache? Are there any pitfalls that I should know about?

Let us assume that the final product will not be based on a commercial Embedded Linux distro, but a custom 2.6 kernel with busybox & uclibc. Should that effect the choice in any way?

Forgive me if the questions seem a bit foolish. The bottom line is that I have not used any kind of development boards in the past and I would like to receive some insight on which one of the above to choose.

Cheers,
Mikko