JTAG debuggers for Motorola 8xx/82xx/85xx

Fahd Abidi fabidi at ultsol.com
Sat Jun 19 00:19:53 EST 2004

Mark,

The 82xx and 85xx have very Similar Jtag Headers. From the BDI's perspective
the JTAG interface was the same for both, the target JTAG cable we provide
is the same for both the 85xx and 82xx, the JTAG pinouts are the same for
both.

The things that have changed (from the BDI's perspective) are:

Register set has been changed-- the BDI needs to be aware of a whole
different set of registers to access to determine the state of the processor
and set breakpoints.

Startup Sequence has changed,BDI will bring up the 82xx processor set an
initial breakpoint (at the boot vector), then run the processor till we hit
the breakpoint. For the 85xx breakpoints do not work until the debug vectors
point to valid code. Hence it is not possible for the BDI to stop the 85xx
processor by setting a breakpoint at startup like the 82xx series. The work
around is that we loop endlessly in L2SRAM and halt the processor there.
Then unmap the L2SRAM, at which point you can set a breakpoint on the
bootvector and run the processor till it hits the breakpoint. MPC85xx Rev1
will let you single step right from the L2SRAM where as MPC85xx rev2 needs
to hit the bootvector before single stepping is possible.

I attached the PowerQuiccIII Jtag interface guide for you to see, the
interface is exactly the same as for the 82xx.

Fahd