U-Boot and kernel 2.6

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jun 12 02:22:09 EST 2004

In message <002a01c44fc9$201dc820$0301a8c0 at chuck2> you wrote:

> Here's another idea - how about XML?  That would be two steps forward, IMO,
> instead of just going from one magic structure to another.

Oh no. Don't forget that the the boot loader  has  to  generate  XML.
Grrrhh... [I'd rather generate a troff document, then :-) ]

> As to just trashing bd_t, does that mean users have to upgrade their
> bootloader to use newer kernels, and could not switch back easily if
> problems arose?  Perhaps the kernel could identify whether the pointer is to
> a bd_t or something else and handle it automatically?

I guess you can always add some glue code (aka bootstrap  loader)  to
the Linux kernel which converts one interface into another.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs  who  has  never
learned to walk.                              - Franklin D. Roosevelt