U-Boot and kernel 2.6

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jun 12 00:43:18 EST 2004

In message <40C9BED6.3010809 at intracom.gr> you wrote:

> OK, lets look at the very simple problem of having two
> ethernet interfaces. From where do I get the ethernet
> mac addresses? Modifying bd_t with defines is gross.

This is hardware dependend. For  example,  on  some  boards  the  MAC
addresses are simply sequential - so you just add one :-)

> Putting everything on the kernel command line results in
> an unreadable command line.

Agreed. The command  line  is  another  bad  solution  to  pass  such
information.

> Yeah, having the bi_recs interface actually working
> would be ideal, but at the present time nothing is
> working and as AFAIK no-one is working on it.

Mark A. Greer made a  nice  proposal  more  than  2  years  ago.  See
discussion  that  started  as  "EV-64260-BP & GT64260 bi_recs" around
March 19, 2002.

I'd be happy to see this accepted.

> I have to have something working now and IMO just reading
> the u-boot environment is the fastest solution.

OK - accepted. But it's a quick and dirty  hack,  and  not  something
that should go into a public tree.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Microsoft Multitasking:
                     several applications can crash at the same time.