newest "bk pull" of 8xx tree still builds a kernel that hangs

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Jun 8 10:25:27 EST 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:04:44PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Tom Rini wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:55:33AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >

> > >   having just got back from vacation, i may have missed some of the latest
> > > developments.  i just did a "bk pull" from the linuxppc-2.5 tree, rebuilt
> > > the kernel for my 8xx board and, just like before i left, the kernel hung
> > > almost immediately upon booting:
> > >
> > > Linux/PPC load: console=ttyS0,9600 rw root=/dev/ram0 init=/sbin/minit
> > > Uncompressing Linux...done.
> > > Now booting the kernel
> > > (hang)
> > >
> > > should i be expecting this?  once upon a time, of course, i got all the
> > > way to user space before the hang.  have there been some recent patches to
> > > cause this latest behaviour?  i haven't messed with the config file in
> > > quite some time.  should i?
> >
> > What probably happened is that you don't have a UART driver selected.
> > I've had my best luck with CONFIG_SERIAL_CPM, so you might want to try
> > that.
>
> i selected that, but still no luck -- kernel still hangs almost
> immediately -- but there may be other issues here.
[snip]

I haven't had time to look into this yet, in part because I just don't
know how well to trust my h/w, but to get SMC1 console working (RPX
Lite) I need to enable both SCC1 and SMC1.  For your board, I would
recommend enabling all of the consoles.

And in case others were wondering, the old driver has a different set of
issues, at least on my hw, it doesn't see input (and/or it causes a
livelock at boot, I haven't tried again in a while).

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/