Poor 8260 FCC Ethernet performance

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue Jun 8 03:33:04 EST 2004

Hi Adisorn:

Did you check your settings in the FCC Ethernet Mode Register (FPSMR) bits 3 Local Protect Bit (LPB) and 5 Full Duplex Ethernet (FDE)?  In particular, LPB and FDE _MUST_ be set to '1' in full duplex.  This has been a problem in the past with FCC ethernet drivers, including the linux driver.

1) If you have a miss-match on full/half duplex between your switch/hub and/or your PHY and/or your FCC, you will have very poor ethernet performance, very similar to what you are complaining about.  Your Rx may be delayed/suppressed by Tx packets, or you may see lots of late collisions.

2) Another hint I haven't experienced personally (yet :-) is that, if the board has layout problems between the PHY and the 8260, you can get a lot of CRC errors due to noise messing up your transmissions.  I'm guessing that your problem is #1, however.

Question: What is your system setup?
  Hub or switch?
  PHY configuration is full/half? 10/100?
  FCC configuration is full/half, LPB = ? FDE = ?
  Do you see a lot of late collisions in the FCC registers?
  Do you see a lot of CRC failures?

gvb