Poor 8260 FCC Ethernet performance

Dayton, Dean deand at aiinet.com
Mon Jun 7 22:14:07 EST 2004

It's been awhile, but I seem to remember that some of the PPC drivers did
not set up full duplex properly. Make sure that fcc_fpsmr is setting
FCC_PSMR_FDE and FCC_PSMR_LPB properly. Also check to make sure that the phy
is actually set up for full duplex.

Having said all that. There is a limit to how fast the processor can forward
packets. This chip was designed to give a lot of flexibility in
connectivity. It will not forward 100Mbps of small packets, especially not
while running Linux. You could spend a lot of time and really optimize the
data path and drivers for a very significant improvement in performance. But
then you wouldn't have the flexibility of Linux.

I run a 266MHz 8265 with Linux. With a very simple kernel configuration it
can forward about 29000 pps (in on interface and out another). If I enable
iptables,nat and a few other network options, the performance drops by about
50%. If I start configuring complex iptables rule, performance will continue
to drop.

Modifying the driver to NAPI would probably help.

Dean Dayton