list of 2.6-related migration issues for embedded programmers?

Linh Dang linhd at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Jul 20 21:29:55 EST 2004

On 20 Jul 2004, wd at denx.de wrote:

> In message <wn5zn5v8nl8.fsf at linhd-2.ca.nortel.com> you wrote:
>>
>> - I failed to see what in initramfs mechanism would prevent
>> one from having "separated images which can be updated
>> independently of each other."
>
> initramfs gets linked with the kernel into one image, similar to

But you don't have to. What ever you can do with the good-old initrd
image you can do with the new initramfs (really cpio archive)
image. The main difference is the creation: genext2fs vs cpio.

I just happen to use zImage.initrd (where ramdisk.image.gz is a cpio
archive) in our project because it's the most appropriate for our
situation.

Regards

--
L.D.