list of 2.6-related migration issues for embedded programmers?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 20 06:58:30 EST 2004

In message <Pine.LNX.4.60.0407191350320.23725 at dell.enoriver.com> you wrote:

> > initramfs is convenient. you don't need root access nor special tools
> > to create the root-fs. it very easy when you want to
> > version-controlled you root-fs.
>
> ah, that would be convenient since, as it is, i'm using a hacked
> version of "genext2fs" that allows me to create the initial root fs as
> a regular user.  i *definitely* have to look into initramfs, then.

What do you mean with "hacked"? Standard  "genext2fs"  will  do  this
just fine.

And as usual, there is two sides to initramfs. It may  be  convenient
for some cases, where you can use the very same root filesystem image
bundled  with the kernel image, but exactly thsi convenience may hurt
you in other cases where it's much better  when  you  have  separated
images which can be updated independently of each other.

Speaking for myself: I don't see advantages in it. None.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure.