Cross compiling for VxWorks/PowerPC Target from a Linux/x86 Machine

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue Jul 13 23:35:29 EST 2004

A co-worker get the cross compiler source from WindRiver and built it under linux.  I wasn't involved and don't know any answers, but he said it was straight forward.  Note that "straight forward" does _not_ mean effortless, depending on your level of expertise, this will take between a day and forever, probably averaging 3-5 days.  This gets you everything you need to compile and link.

WindRiver's proprietary tools (their debugger and configuration system) aren't included, so you have to create your configuration (or at least an initial configuration) using their Windows/Solaris tools -- this produces prjConfig.h (IIRC) configuration file which you then copy to your linux platform and which you can edit by hand if you wish to reconfigure without Windows.  You can use gdb to debug (takes some effort to understand how to make it work) or use other methods (e.g. print statements) -- I generally use print statements.

Building on linux is vastly superior to the gross bloated IDE, but I'm biased -- I hate IDEs.

gvb

** This list is shutting down 7/24/2004.