AW: rpm for embedded system

Thomas Schafer tschaefer at giga-stream.de
Thu Jul 8 22:12:18 EST 2004

Hi,

we are using the ipkg package management system, which is well suited for
embedded systems as it doesn't need much overhead on the system. A database
is used which takes a few kBytes (depending on the number of packages
installed) and the ipkg binary itself takes about 120kB on our PPC405 based
system. Furthermore, the package format is easy to understand (it is derived
from debian package format) and ipkg packages are easy to build.

For more detail, see

http://www.handhelds.org/z/wiki/BuildingIpkgs
http://www.handhelds.org/z/wiki/iPKG

There are more leightweight package management systems available, see

http://www.movial.fi/client-data/file/movial_package_management.pdf

Best regards,

Thomas Schafer