UPM driver of MPC8260

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Thu Jul 1 22:37:54 EST 2004

U-boot is the bootloader.  You must have it (or equivalent, but u-boot is probably your easiest option).  If you are truly using ppcboot, you should upgrade to u-boot (it is the successor of ppcboot).

U-boot lives in flash and boots the board.  You can build a linux image and put it also in flash.

READ the ELDK documentation for lots of useful help
  http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/Faq
  http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/Manual

U-boot image formats
  http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/UBootImages

Making a linux image suitable for booting via u-boot
  http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxConfiguration

  "The make target uImage uses the tool mkimage (from the U-Boot package) to create a Linux kernel image in arch/ppc/boot/images/uImage which is immediately usable for download and booting with U-Boot."

You should set up a TFTP server and booting your kernel off of the server until you are happy with it.
  http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxNfsRoot
The following page is aimed at debian, but may be helpful.
  http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/DebianOnPowerpcInstallationHowto

At that point, copy the uImage to flash somewhere (where it doesn't overwrite anything important, of course) and boot it directly from flash via u-boot's command prompt.  When you are happy with that, you can use u-boot's environment variables to create an "auto-execute" script to boot linux "hands off."
  http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxBootIntro
  http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxInFlash

gvb