PATCH: Another mpc8xx watchdog driver !!

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Wed Jan 7 11:03:16 EST 2004

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <3FFB450D.7060405 at tait.co.nz> you wrote:
>
>>>Do you really mean RTC here???
>>
>>Yes - the 866 and derivatives (859 etc) do NOT have a Real Time Clock
>>block. This means that hooking the RTC interrupt to 'kick the dog' is
>>rather difficult :-))
>

> That may be the case. But the watchdog code does not use any  RTC  at
> all.
>

>>"It is based on the code of Florian Schirmer but using kernel timers (as
>>used by the DENX driver) rather than the RTC."
>

> Have you ever seen a MPC8xx watchdog driver that used RTC for
> triggering?

Gosh - egg on face. Got mixed up with the PIT which usually uses a 32KHz
crystal as does the RTC on the mpc860. Well, we don't have a crystal on
the PIT so that (as well as the non-existant RTC) is not available!!

This is what comes from trying to rely on memory alone with 1358 pages
of mpc866 manual :-))

--
Robin Gilks
Senior Design Engineer          Phone: (+64)(3) 357 1569
PO Box 1645 Christchurch        Email : robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
New Zealand