ADS860 - unable to load kernel- Bad magic number

Marius Groeger mgroeger at sysgo.com
Sat Feb 28 04:29:27 EST 2004

On Thu, 27 Feb 2004, Bob Beck wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 06:32, Marius Groeger wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Feb 2004, Bob Beck wrote:
> >
> > >  What is the difference between vmlinux and zImage.embedded ?
> >
> > vmlinux is the plain kernel ELF image. You can use it to analyse the kernel
> > code or symbols, but you cannot boot it as-is.
> >
> > zImage.embedded is the compressed kernel image plus some glue code used as a
> > bridge between the firmware and the kernel.
> >

> On my proprietary board (PPC 603). I do not have access to flash
> so I am loading vmlinux into RAM and jumping to 0x10000. It is
> running into problems in mmu_off.
>
> Should I be loading zImage.embedded instead ?

Yes you can try that, but then you will have to modify the code in
arch/ppc/boot/... to match the specifics of your board.

Another popular way to go is to port u-boot to your platform first.
U-boot accepts kernel pImages which you get by doing a "make pImage"
in the kernel source dir.

You will have to know your tools and hardware quite well either way,
be prepared to learn a lot.

Good Luck,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger at sysgo.com>
Project Manager

SYSGO Real-Time Solutions AG | Embedded and Real-Time Software
Am Pfaffenstein 14
55270 Klein-Winternheim, Germany

Voice: +49-6136-9948-0 | FAX: +49-6136-9948-10
www.sysgo.com | www.elinos.com | www.osek.de