MMU Problem bringing up kernel with PPC 603 chip

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Sat Feb 28 04:19:59 EST 2004

You are turning off the MMU when you execute the RFI.  This is a very delicate operation: any screw up here causes the machine to crash mysteriously.  Oh, wait, you know that already ;-).

Questions: Why is your MMU on when you call this routine?  Who turned it on?  Why?  What is the MMU mapping to/from?

Several suspect areas:
* You have cache enabled and are using the MMU to mark areas as cache-inhibited (necessary for all I/O type stuff).  When you disable the MMU, _everything_ becames cached by fiat, causing all I/O to become cached.  At this point, the CPU state is indistingishable from crashed because it is being held hostage by the cache (nothing comes in, nothing goes out).  Solution: disable the cache before disabling the MMU.

* Your MMU is not mapping memory 1:1 so turning it off makes your memory disappear out from under your CPU.  Crash.  Solution: you need to return (RFI) to an area of memory that will exist when the MMU is disabled.

gvb