ppcbug booting

ghannon at cspi.com ghannon at cspi.com
Thu Feb 26 03:30:50 EST 2004

David,
     I've tried to do something similar, although I did not go to the level
of replacing ppcbug with uboot.   As you've already learned, ppcbug
can't see the IDE compact flash card.  I've got reassurance from Motorola
that it never will.  (PROMIS controller will not be supported according to
our
supplier.)

     I've made a kernel and romfs that can see the drive, but that kernel
must reside in the onboard flash.   (Set up ppcbug to rom boot vs autoboot)
The tricky part is whenever you need to change your kernel, you are going
to have to do it in ppcbug.  In other words, you can't build your kernel on
this machine and just reboot into the new kernel.

     If you get uboot running and find it can see the hard drive directly,
I would like to copy that approach.

Hope that helps,

Gary Hannon

David Gardiner <daveg at sonartech.com.au> on 02/24/2004 06:24:54 PM