clock() seems not work !

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Mon Feb 16 16:14:35 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 11:58:07AM +0800, Yang wrote:

>  i am writting applications based ppc+MVL3.0, which i want to get CPU
> time,but clock() seems not work for me, for this i did a simple test,as
> follows:
> /*----------------*/
>   while(1)
> 	{
>       printf("current time is %ld \n",clock());
> 	  sleep(1);
> 	}
>      But it printed the same value all the while. How is it?

What do you expect from this function?

Did you read manual entry for clock()?

On POSIX systems clock() returns (number of seconds * CLOCKS_PER_SEC)
spent by the process, not a system time/tick count...

Your program is doing _nothing_, so it's normal that clock() returns
the same number. Change sleep(1) to some busy loop and you'll see the
difference.

Eugene.