ml300 boot loader question

Peter Ryser Peter.Ryser at xilinx.com
Sat Feb 14 02:24:32 EST 2004

Lou,

there are two parts involved in booting a Linux system on the Virtex-II
Pro FPGA on the ML300:

1. a bitstream that programs the FPGA. The bitstream is created with the
EDK kit from scratch or based on the EDK reference design for ML300
available at
http://www.xilinx.com/ise/embedded/edk_examples.htm (design # 6)
2. a Linux kernel created

Then, there are two main methods on how to bring up Linux.

a. With Impact and a SW debugger (BDI2000)
b. With System ACE CF.

In both cases first the bitstream is loaded to program the FPGA and the
then Linux kernel is loaded through the processor into main memory.
If  you use method a) you first program the FPGA with Impact and then
use the BDI2000 to download the Linux kernel into main memory. The
BDI2000 will then also set the PC to the start address of the Linux
kernel and on your command start executing the code.

If you use method b) you use EDK to generate an ACE file for example in
an EDK shell type
xmd genace.tcl -jprog -board ml300 -hw implementation/download.bit -elf
<path to linux kernel> -ace top.ace
See the EDK documentation for more details.

Now, copy the resulting top.ace file onto the MicroDrive shipping with
ML300, for example, into xilinx/myace. Set the rotary dial that selects
which configuration is loaded by the System ACE chip to the correct
number. When you hit the System ACE reset button the System ACE CF chip
starts loading the ACE file and as part of the process loads the FPGA
bitstream, downloads the Linux kernel into main memory, and boots Linux.

- Peter