Linux 2.6.2 & MPC8260

stefano.gaiotto at tin.it stefano.gaiotto at tin.it
Thu Feb 12 01:16:12 EST 2004

Dear colleagues,

I'm trying to build Linux kernel 2.6.2 for some evaluation board with Motorola
'8260, e.g. est8260.
I'm using the following environment:

- Linux kernel 2.6.2
- gcc 3.3.2
- glibc 2.3.2
- binutils 2.14.90.0.7

After having expanded the linux kernel archive, I have only modified the
makefile as follow:

- ARCH := ppc
- CROSS_COMPILE = powerpc-linux-

Then, using "make menuconfig", I have loaded from /arch/ppc/configs the
configuration file ?est8260_defconfig?
After that, I have started the compilation with the command "make zImage"
hoping to see the compiler to reach the end of the makefile...

But after a few minutes the compiler stopps reporting the error:

  AS      arch/ppc/kernel/head.o
arch/ppc/kernel/head.S: Assembler messages:
arch/ppc/kernel/head.S:1660: Error: unsupported relocation against MSR_
make[1]: *** [arch/ppc/kernel/head.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/ppc/kernel] Error 2

Thanks in advance for your advice.

With best regards,

	Stefano