Booting time

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Feb 11 06:52:42 EST 2004

Dear Jaap-Jan,

in message <93314AB1-5B9D-11D8-B8DD-000A95B15278 at aimsys.nl> you wrote:

> > For a "standard" system with 50 MHz CPU and 50 MHz bus  clock  I  can
> > demonstrate  that  it takes not more than 3...4 seconds from power on
> > until the first application process is running.
>
> What kind of setup is that? A very small ramdisk or flash disk?

This is with a standard setup; root filesystem size is in  the  range
of  5...10 MB. It works with a ramdisk (if not compressed), or with a
MTD based (non-compressing) filesystem. The  second  option  is  more
efficient regarding memory footprint in RAM.

A MTD mounted (read-only) ext2 filesystem in flash is pretty fast.

> Does the (u-) boot loader do extensive ram tests?

Just the basic tests which are also used to auto-size the RAM.

Best regards,

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The only way to learn a new programming language is by  writing  pro-
grams in it.                                        - Brian Kernighan