BUG in mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0002.c for 64bit width flashes (linuxppc_2_4_devel)

Steffen Rumler Steffen.Rumler at siemens.com
Sat Feb 7 00:53:45 EST 2004

Hi,

We have found the following bug in mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0002.c
for 64bit bus width.

The routine do_write_oneword() uses the DQ6 algorithm in order
to detect the end of programming phase (see bitkeeper: linuxppc_2_4_devel)

oldstatus = cfi_read(map, adr);
status = cfi_read(map, adr);

while( (status & dq6) != (oldstatus & dq6) &&
         (status & dq5) != dq5 &&
         !time_after(jiffies, timeo) ) {

     if (need_resched()) {
         cfi_spin_unlock(chip->mutex);
         yield();
         cfi_spin_lock(chip->mutex);
     } else
         udelay(1);

     oldstatus = cfi_read( map, adr );
     status = cfi_read( map, adr );
}

There are two contiguous calls of cfi_read() to check for the DQ6 toggling.

But for 64bit one cfi_read() results in two flash accesses, one for
the upper 32bit and the other for lower 32bit. In this way the DQ6 bits toggle
for the two accesses related to one cfi_read(). The first access will be
compared with the third and the second with the fourth.
The end detection is broken, the body of the while loop will never be executed.

I suggest to switch to the alternative DQ7 algorithm.

Steffen

Steffen Rumler
Siemens AG
Hofmannstr. 51                 Email: Steffen.Rumler at siemens.com
D-81359 Munich                 Phone: +49 89 722-44061
Germany                        Fax  : +49 89 722-36703