Linux MPC8xx I2C Interface

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Feb 4 09:46:44 EST 2004

In message <20040203144648.95218.qmail at web41404.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I am working on a proprietary board which I have
> U-Boot and ELDK Linux ported over to.  On the board
> there is an I2C bus that first connects to a PCA9556
> (I2C Hub Controller at 0x18) & PCA9516 (I2C Octal
> Hub).  So I need to be able to talk to the PCA9556 to
> set up the hub controller to activate one of the bus
> segments on the hub.  I am able to read and write to
> all my I2C devices under U-Boot, but not under Linux.
> I have tried both compiling, and creating modules of
> i2c-core, i2c-dev, and i2c-algo-8xx.  I also patched
> the kernel with the i2c patch which also gave me
> i2c-proc.  I don't get any errors when I boot with
> them compiled into the kernel, or when I insert them
> as modules.  However, I don't see any devices.  What
> am I doing wrong?  Also, I would rather talk to the

Which kernel tree is this? Did you by any chance  tried  the  sources
from our CVS server?

Best regards,

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs  who  has  never
learned to walk.                              - Franklin D. Roosevelt