Exception handling on mpc8xx cores

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Thu Dec 9 07:32:36 EST 2004

Mark Chambers wrote:

>>On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 05:15, Robin Gilks wrote:
>>
>>>Greetings
>>>
>>>Any Freescale lurkers out there?
>>>
>>>The mpc866 manual implies that if the internal core times out an
>>>external Transfer Acknowledge bus signal (by exerting the internally
>>>generated Transfer Error Acknowledge signal) an exception is generated.
>>>
>>>I've tried extending the external TA signal well beyond 2040 clock
>>>cycles the maximum timeout allows and I see the busses start up again
>>>(indicationg that they are no longer waiting) but I don't see anything
>>>on TEA and I don't get an exception thrown.
>>>
>>>Any clues? Manual error?, silicon error?, my brain error?
>>
>>Did you enable the bus monitor in the SYPCR register?
>>

> You've also got to have ME set in MSR to get the exception.  For whatever
> it's worth, I have an mpc852 design (part of 866 family) that uses external
> acknowledge and it works as advertised.  I've seen the acknowledger,
> a DSP, fail, and we get a machine check exception.  (I've never
> looked at TEA, though).
>
> Mark Chambers

Identical situation to mine (well nearly).

Using a 859T CPU, the HPI to a DSP is being investigated and in doing so
we've been forcing the DSP to delay TA to the ppc to check that we get
an exception but we don't :-((

ME is set in MSR, BME is set in SYPCR, hair gradually disappearing.
Guess its more debugging...

--
Robin Gilks
Senior Design Engineer          Phone: (+64)(3) 357 1569
PO Box 1645 Christchurch        Email : robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
New Zealand

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.