booting linux-2.5-mpc52xx

ivica at asist-traffic.com ivica at asist-traffic.com
Wed Dec 8 05:10:55 EST 2004

Hi!

I have a lite5200 "clone" board on which I successfully booted several
2.4 kernels.
-kernel from DENX ELDK 3.1
-kernel from DENX CVS
-metrowerks 2.4 kernel
The only problem was I couldn't get first two kernels to boot file
system over NFS.
Third one worked.

Looks like I will have to write support for RX-8025 RTC chip which is
I2C bus
interface-compliant. This will be my first attempt to write a kernel
driver so I'm
taking all the curves I can. And I'm in a hurry.(aren't we all :D )
While looking trough menuconfig of Sylvain's kernel tree I noticed a
chip from
Epson(8564) that is also a RTC based on I2C. I though I would take it as
a base
and change the code according to my specs. Also I like the nice
structure of 2.6
tree(I2C dir). It makes things much more clear for a first timer. But I
could be
wrong of course  and implementing it with 2.4 could be easier.

Anyway, first I need to boot the 2.6 kernel. After countless menuconfigs
and compiles I'm still
stuck at the beginning. This is the point I get to:
=> bootm 200000
## Booting image at 00200000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.10-rc2
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    598930 Bytes = 584.9 kB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
id mach(): done
MMU:enter
MMU:hw init
MMU:mapin
MMU:setio
MMU:exit
setup_arch: enter
setup_arch: bootmem
ocp: exit
arch: exit

I found out this are the last functions in arc/ppc/kernel/setup.c .
Where does the startup process go from here? What could be causing problems?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of stuck here.
I will attach my config file.

TIA,
Ivica