Second Attempt: Driver model usage on embedded processors

Jason McMullan jason.mcmullan at timesys.com
Tue Dec 7 23:09:37 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 23:03 -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
> The intent was that I would use the platform_data pointer to pass board
> specific information to the driver.  We would have board specific code
> which would fill in the information.  The question I have is how to
> handle the device variant information which is really static?

I use a 'struct device_ethernet_data' in my MPC85xx platform-device
patches at http://www.evillabs.net/~gus/patches

That seems to work well, and we could move it from
include/asm-ppc/device-ethernet.h to include/linux/device-ethernet.h to
make it more arch-independant. That covers MAC addrs and phy locations.

As for PHY IRQ, that's a thornier issue. For now, I put that in the
ethernet device's resource list.

--
Jason McMullan <jason.mcmullan at timesys.com>