anyone ever see "swap_dup: Bad swap file entry"?

Steven Blakeslee BlakesleeS at embeddedplanet.com
Thu Apr 22 23:13:06 EST 2004

I am using the linuxppc_2_4_devel tree from http://ppc.bkbits.net/ and a
ramdisk which I downloaded from Wolfgang Denx's FTP site.  The compile
environment is the latest ELDK.  I have this tree and ramdisk working just
fine on an MPC8260 processor.  I took that support and changed a few lines
of code in arch/ppc/lib/string.S and arch/ppc/kernel/misc.S to get the
kernel to boot on an MPC8248 processor.  The kernel appears to boot and
mount the ramdisk but then I get the following error.

Freeing initrd memory: 1431k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 56k init
swap_dup: Bad swap file entry 0e18d55c
swap_dup: Bad swap file entry 0e18d55c
swap_dup: Bad swap file entry 0e18d55c
swap_dup: Bad swap file entry 0e18d55c
swap_dup: Bad swap file entry 0e18d55c
swap_dup: Bad swap file entry 0e18d55c
swap_dup: Bad swap file entry 0e18d55c
swap_dup: Bad swap file entry 0e18d55c

This error is in mm/swapfile.c  It happens when type >= nr_swapfile in
function swap_duplicate.  The only time nr_swapfile gets changed is function
sys_swapon.  Using my BDI2000 I see that sys_swapon is never getting called.
Does anyone know when or if sys_swapon should get called?  Has anyone seen
this before?  Any advice is always appreciated.

Steve Blakeslee