Any restrictions on DMA address boundry?

Bret Indrelee Bret.Indrelee at qlogic.com
Fri Sep 26 06:32:13 EST 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Eugene Surovegin wrote:
> At 12:56 PM 9/25/2003, Matt Porter wrote:
> >When a buffer is allocated using the allowed methods (as defined in
> >DMA-mapping.txt) to obtain memory for use in DMA, there is
> >no guarantee that the buffer is cacheline aligned.
>
> Hmm, I don't think this is true.
>
> DMA-mapping.txt explicitly states that pci_alloc_consistent() returns
> aligned memory buffer:

It has been cut from the conversation, but I'm using streaming DMA
mappings. Specifically, pci_map_single() and pci_unmap_single().

My reading of the 2.4 DMA-mapping.txt is that use of pci_alloc_consistent()
is specific to Consistent DMA mappings. Same for the pci_pool_ interface.

-Bret

--
Bret Indrelee                 QLogic Corporation
Bret.Indrelee at qlogic.com      6321 Bury Drive, St 13, Eden Prairie, MN 55346