BOOT_TARGET pImage & uImage ???

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Sep 19 04:08:34 EST 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 01:09:09PM +0200, Steven Scholz wrote:
> Tom Rini wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:16:29PM +0200, Steven Scholz wrote:
> >

> >>is the there any particular reason why the BOOT_TARGETS "pImage" and
> >>"uImage" for
> >>the famous boot loader PPCBoot and its successor U-Boot are still not
> >>supported.
> >>Neither by linux_2_4_devel. Nor by the vanilla.
> >

> >For a third time:
> >http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/8358/2002/11/0/10241415/
>
> I have to admit that I don't understand what you're describing there. I am
> afraid nobody else did. Otherwise someone would realized it by now...

If I'm making requests and rambling at the same time, can people please
speek up sooner?  I won't mind, really.

What I want is three things:
1) The 'mkimage' target must be done in such a fashion that it will
never run into a 'cannot execute' problem.  My suggestion is to have the
Makefile do a:
@chmod +x mkimage.sh
Or so.  In 2.5/2.6, the build system will handle this for you,
automagically, on .sh files I believe.  For 2.4, you must handle this
explicitly.
2) Do we really need 'pImage' and 'uImage' or can we just have 'uImage'
?
3) I really (really!) want a patch for 2.4 and 2.5/2.6 at the same time.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/