couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 21 01:08:30 EST 2003

In message <200310201305.IAA20143 at lists.linuxppc.org> you wrote:

> I am working on mpc8245 based board. I ahve compiled he rtc driver as a
> seperate modules. I have 2 function in assembly file i2c2.S. Its getting
> compiled but when I am inserting the module I am getting the above mentioned
> error.

And you are absolutely sure that what you use is Linux kernel code?

> i2c2.o: couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for
> x1226.o: Unresolved symbol load_runtime_reg
> x1226.o: Unresolved symbol store_runtime_reg

> How can I avoid this.

To mee it seems as if you used a source file which was  not  intended
for  use  with the Linux kernel, and adopted it for this purpose, but
poorly. You don't mention how you build your kernel module, s owe can
only speculate that there is either a problem with your source  code,
or  (more likely) with the way you compile and link your source files
into a module (like bad and/or missing compiler / linker options).

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
He'd been wrong, there _was_ a light at the end of the tunnel, and it
was a flamethrower.                         - Terry Pratchett, _Mort_