debug Montavista on ML300

Peter Ryser Peter.Ryser at xilinx.com
Tue Oct 14 15:43:20 EST 2003

Hi,

you have a few options to download the Linux kernel to the board
depending on your work environment:

1. If you are using V2PDK, i.e the tool set that ships with the ML300,
then use GDB to download the kernel with the P4 cable.
    a) open a V2PDK shell
    b) change directories to the location where your Linux kernel resides
    c) start GDB, download and start the kernel
          $ powerpc-eabi-gdb -nw -nx zImage.embedded
          (gdb) target ocd xilinx
          (gdb) set download-write-size 0
          (gdb) load
          (gdb) c

2. If you are using EDK then use XMD to download the kernel with the P4
cable.
    a) open a xygwin shell
    b) change directories to the location where your Linux kernel resides
    c) start XMD, download and start the kernel
          $ xmd
          XMD% ppcc
          XMD% dow zImage.embedded
          XMD% run

3. If you are using a 3rd party debugger follow the instructions of the
debugger manufacturer.

4. To generate an ACE file out of the bitstream and the Linux kernel
follow the instructions in the V2PDK or EDK documentation.

- Peter