cfi_cmdset_0002.c: MTD do_write_oneword(): Wacky! Unable to decode failure status

Steffen Rumler Steffen.Rumler at siemens.com
Fri Oct 10 21:57:15 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm using the 2.4.20 kernel running on a TQM8260 board,
with FUJITSU 29LV652UE90 flash chips.

Sometimes a have seen the following problem inside MTD's
do_write_oneword() and do_erase_oneblock() functions:

    + After starting the erase/write operation, the function
      waits until the flash chips have indicated the end of
      the operation (via dq6 or dq7).

    + After that, the function makes some kind of control read
      in order to check the correctness of the operation.

    + Sometimes this control read fails.

When I make the control read more lazy and try it multiple times (see attached patch),
the problem disappears. The contents of the flash is always correct.

As far as I know, the control read is not performed by the PPCboot.

Has anybody seen the same problem ?

Thanks

Steffen Rumler
ICN CP D NT SW 7
Siemens AG
Hofmannstr. 51                 Email: Steffen.Rumler at siemens.com
D-81359 Munich                 Phone: +49 89 722-44061
Germany                        Fax  : +49 89 722-36703