Silicon Motion VGA controllers and PPC architecture

llandre r&d at wawnet.biz
Fri Nov 14 01:25:35 EST 2003

> > I'm looking for a VGA controller to use with an embedded PPC405-based
> system.
> > I had a look at the Silicon Motion chips (712/722) and they seem very
> > suited for embedded applications.
>
>Errr - may I ask what is special about this brand?

It seems these chips are the easiest to integrate in a PowerPC embedded
systems.
Laurent Mohin from Acterna confirmed it is possible to use them without
executing their x86 BIOS with a software emulator (U-Boot already includes
a driver that initializes the chip). See also his message in this thread.

Best regards,

llandre