EST sbc8260 boot debug

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 12 01:04:34 EST 2003

In message <3FB0E976.20500 at catapult.com> you wrote:

> into some problems.  This is a 8275 FADS board.

Arrrrggghhhh!!! Why do you write "EST sbc8260" in the subject, then?

> I have downloaded the simple-ramdisk-PPCBoot supplied

This ancient ramdisk image is NOT suitable to a MPC82xx processor.  I
have  removed  it  from our FTP server some time ago, and I recommend
everybody to rm it, too.

Please use a SELF image from the
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/ directory
instead.

> I tftpboot the kernel to 100000, the simple-ramdisk to 300000
> set boot args to root=/dev/ram rw   then    bootm 100000 300000
> and still run into problems:

It would have been extremely useful if you had actually shown HOW you
do this, and the relevanlt lines for the kernel boot log. Instead you
just send a useless snippet.

> Here is the last part of the start up log

...which is more or less useless without the first part  which  shows
which boot arguments you actually passed to the kernel.

> devfs: v1.12c (20020818) Richard Gooch (rgooch at atnf.csiro.au)
> devfs: devfs_debug: 0x0
> devfs: boot_options: 0x1

Try disabling devfs in your kernel configuration.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"One day," said a dull voice from down below, "I'm going to  be  back
in  form again and you're going to be very sorry you said that. For a
very long time. I might even go so far as to make even more Time just
for you to be sorry in."              - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_