Max RAM for Linux only 1GB?

John Whitney john.whitney at timesys.com
Sat Nov 1 04:28:55 EST 2003

Prakash,

The easiest route it to turn on highmem support (CONFIG_HIGHMEM).  As far as
I know, this does work for the PowerPC.  My understanding is that the kernel
doesn't directly use this memory, but will allow user-space programs to use
it (mapped into their memory space), which should in turn free up the memory
the kernel DOES use.

I think you'll need to start playing with the kernel start address if you
want the kernel to benefit directly from the additional memory.  I know this
has been done successfully to 0xA0000000, not sure about all the way down to
0x80000000 (but I can't think of why it wouldn't off the top of my head).

John